Goodbye, Ostrich…

When I said I was craving news, this is not exactly what I had in mind

I know that there are probably reasons why I should be OK with this, numbers that would show that middle relievers are a dime a dozen, and I should be cool with it because it opens up a slot/potential for improvement in our bullpen. But I’m not happy about this news. At all.Β  What kind of a world do we live in where Chris Jakubauskus gets claimed off waivers, but I can’t get a 100% absolute guarantee that Miguel Batista isn’t coming back? That’s how you’re gonna do me today, Friday?! Bah!

Good luck in Pittsburgh, Jak. It’s a nice city, very Seattle-like. Plus, they’ve got the Stanley Cup defending champs there, so there’s that…

At the behest of a friend, I’ll be drowning my sorrows in beer and Thunderbirds hockey tonight.

12 Responses to Goodbye, Ostrich…

Good beer I hope.

I was sorry to hear about Jaku also, but am confident that Z has something good up his sleeve. Geoff Baker has mentioned some interesting possibilities on his blog.

Right now it’s a New Belgian Trippel, but at Staples, I’ll be at the mercy of whatever horrifying selection they might have for the good folks in Kent… πŸ˜‰

I need to read Baker’s post more thoroughly – I read the bits about Jak, but that was it. I’m trying to keep up on news and do homework at the same time today – so thanks for the heads-up on the rest of the article, for sure. πŸ™‚

Isn’t it kind of cool to just inherently KNOW that good things are on the wind, rather than be terrified of what kind of stupid multi-year, multi-million dollar deal they might give to someone who is awful? It’s kinda neat, isn’t it? πŸ™‚

Will probably have a Sierra Nevada Celebration (or some other winter) later. TGIF!

Geoff is speculating about a possible Mariners – Tigers trade: M’s would get Granderson and Jackson for Morrow and Triunfel. We would have a very good outfield and another good SP, but giving up Triunfel would be tough. Morrow has been jerked around, and might be better off somewhere else.

Oh well, my motto is “In Jack we trust”. It’s nice to have confidence in the M’s again.

Yeah; I think for as much as I like Morrow, I’m kind of over the whole up/down on/off thing with him – and this may not be the best place for him, he may be better off elsewhere.

I like Granderson, but I’m not so sure about Jackson. I have a difficult time keeping track of everyone outside our own team, so someone really has to do something to stand out to me – Granderson has, Jackson not so much.

I get the feeling there is going to be a bomb…or a series of small bombs – we won’t even see it coming, but it will vastly improve the team. I’ve been trying to do a bit of research on Rich Harden – he seems to be a gem in the eyes of Lookout Landing – but haven’t gotten the time to do much just yet. Whatever is done, we won’t know it’s done until it’s done – hell, Jak didn’t even know he was leaving until he KNEW, y’know?

I have to think this is more fun than being a Yankees fan. πŸ˜€

5. Craig D says:

I’m not sold on Jackson either…..

The Idea of Granderson in left……Would definately give us the best Defensive outfield in MLB hands down.

For me the whole thing would really depend on the other pieces of the trade.

Yep. Bring Granderson ON. I have no problem with that.

Not being a numbers person, I wonder how he would fare in SafeCo Field’s LF?

The next few weeks should be interesting. The 40 man roster has about 30 players on it with 2 more on the DL. Lots of room for ???

Christmas may be extra special this year! πŸ˜€

9. Craig D says:

All the Roster Spots have mainly been Cleared so they can add the minor leagues they want to protect from the Rule 5 draft…..probably 5 or 6 players…..

Sounds about right. The 40 man roster is at 37 players now, so there is room for a few free agents and/or trades.

11. Craig D says:

You must be the Thunderbirds good luck Charm.

The Cowbell Crusaders invade Kent on Saturday πŸ™‚

I’m glad the Tbirds are starting to turn it around, when they were 4-13-1-3 , it was looking pretty Bleak.

Now they are only 1 point out of the 7th and 8th playoff spot.

I’m telling you, I don’t think I’ve ever seen them lose. Maybe once, but whenever I go, they seem to win. Weird.