Still a little in shock, but recovering

I’ve had some hours to think about things now, and I think I really like this trade. Like really like it, like it.  Jeff Sullivan’s post here helped iron things out a little bit, along with all the Tweets, FaceBook posts, and only God knows what else has been shooting out of the internet today. I was looking forward to Carlos Silva maybe being able to bring it back for us, but that’s not going to happen now, and we’re only out a little money for it. Mariners fans are (generally) happy that we get a DH/LF type hitter, and Cubs fans are (generally) happy to have Mr Milton Bradley off their grass. For his part, Bradley is – at least on the surface – glad to be coming to play on a team with – who else? – Ken Griffey Jr, a player he has apparently held in such high esteem that he wants an autograph from him. That alone gives me hope for the Mariners ability to help Bradley do what he needs to do here. Hey, Don Wakamatsu and company were able to get Carlos Silva to hold his chin up a little higher, and even smile once in a while – and I have the pictures to prove it!

If  Bradley makes a turnaround, I will truly believe in fairies, unicorns, and All Things Good and True.

We can, truly, only guess what might happen with this situation until we get there, but at the very least, this is a more favorable reaction than Cliff Lee had; and of course, I kid because I love. While I was trying to write this, Sullivan posted yet another analysis of past troubled Mariners. This really should be taken into consideration. I got into a brief discussion with someone on Brock & Salk’s FaceBook page who is worried that this move basically spells a lot of disaster for us, and that Bradley will ‘eat Wakamatsu alive’ (I’m not sure if these were exact words, but they were close). I don’t believe this to be true – I have a lot of faith -a lot of faith – in our front office and coaching staff, and I think that this absolutely can work.

I do truly wish Silva much luck in Chicago, and I hope he does manage to “go all Jeff Weaver” like Sullivan says, if only for my friend Kevin’s sake (a Schaumberg resident and lifelong Cubbies fan).

Dave Cameron has some more ideas about what might happen in the near future over here. For myself, I think I have some degree of trade fatigue. I love what is happening right now, absolutely love it – but it seems like every time I turn around, something else great is happening. I’m not complaining at ALL, but give a girl some time to breathe, guys!

I am now officially way more excited than I need to be for FanFest.

7 Responses to Still a little in shock, but recovering

I’m really happy about Trader Jack (and his magic powers), but a bit overwhelmed by all the activity lately.

Lee will be amazing, and the M’s will have a one-two punch that will be pretty impressive. If I were the Angels I would be getting nervous about the M’s right about now.

Glad to have Lagerhans back, maybe as the 4th outfielder? Saunders in Tacoma? Many possibilities.

Bradley sound like he might work out ok here, esp. with some mentoring from Junior. The decision to sign Junior for another year seems well worth it at this point, regardless of what he does on the field. (Hope that the change of scenery is good for Silva too.)

Still hoping to see Branyan back in the fold for 2010 + option / vesting / whatever. If Russell the Muscle is healthy he will hit 40 homeruns in 2010!

Were you suggesting a get (tweet?) together for your devoted fan club at FanFest on Saturday? I’m definitely going, but hadn’t decided which day to attend yet. Would love to be part of the cheering section for Trader Jack! 😀 😀 😀

2. Craig D-MarinersManiac says:

Wak is actually what I would consider the perfect type of Manager for Bradley….Cool,calm and collected guy…..someone who is an excellent communicator.

Will there be a Bradley blowup at some point in the next 2 years? Absolutely, he’s a spirited guy….he will get tossed from a couple games when an umpire is gonna wanna show him up, and there will be at least 1 or 2 times in which a Local reporter is gonna want to Self-promote themselves and even “try” to provoke Bradley in someway, So they can write about it…and pretend like they are a victim.

Basically Bradley has the competiveness of Felix….but has a Fuse like Mike Tyson….and definate hitting Talent.

I think the Langerhans signing to a Major league deal is great, but also makes me wonder. I guess the plan is Saunders to AAA for more grooming, which isnt a bad idea at all…..but if Saunders Tears it up in Spring training….does Langerhans have options left?
    If we can store him in AAA if Saunders goes Ape-crazy, then its great or vice versa.
    I dunno….its all starting to hurt my brain with the possibilities.

I say Yeah to Bradley and Langerhans.

Its just completely amazing how Jack is shaping this team in ways that no-one could imagine.

Yeah, I think a group of us are going to try and get together on the Saturday FanFest to hang out, cheer whomever does the speaking there that day, and eat a lot of hot dogs – or at least one big one. 😀 I put a thread up on Lookout Landing about it – there is also a user there that is accepting donations (I don’t know if they have enough money for it or not yet) to make a banner that says something like “In Z we trust” that he plans to hang in front of his section at games (he goes to all the home games, I believe).

Craig – you changed your username on me! haha! It’s funny, I saw at least one guy on Brock & Salk’s FaceBook page who is extremely against this move, and doesn’t think it’s a good idea. I don’t get it. If Bradley goes off, he gets cut; they won’t tolerate any negative behavior from him, and I’m sure they know what they’re getting into. I love the fact that Saunders and Langerhans still exist in our system; we managed to keep most of the guys that I really liked this year. And talking extension with Gutz! Wow.

CraigD – I agree with your comments about Wak, and I understand some of the M’s staff have worked with Bradley before. Hopefully this will be a better environment for MB, and it could really help the offense. Definitely some risk, but a big reward if it works out.

Predicting what Trader Jack will do next is impossible, but it is great to have confidence that he will be aggressive in improving the team.

Hey, if your head doesn’t hurt after a birthday party then what was the point? 😀

6. Craig D-MarinersManiac says:

If Bradley does freak out an goes Ape-Crazy, I hope its during the Cubs/Mariners series at Safeco.

I can just imagine him snapping…… shoving the Mariners Moose off the ATV, Running over Silva…..then he breaks a bat over Lou Pinella’s Head…..and for a encore he Drags Jim Hendry the Cubs GM upto Lookout Landing by his hair, Gives him a Beatdown…..shoves Garlic Fries up his nose, Pours Hot Starbucks on his Crotch.

Ai caramba!