The Edgar Martinez “debate”

Good article on ESPN by way of USS Mariner on why Martinez should be a valid candidate for the Hall of Fame.

Edgar Martinez was before my time. I never saw him play in person (at least, not that I can remember), I was never able to fully appreciate him in the way that a lot of Mariners fans did, do, and always will. But I’m pretty sure I can settle this issue…

How many designated hitters have streets named after them?

There. Stamp it. Done.

EDIT: I would also like to add that Edgar Martinez Drive leads directly to I-5, which leads to both Canada and Mexico; so Edgar Martinez unites all the Americas. Chew on that, Hall of Fame voters!

6 Responses to The Edgar Martinez “debate”

1. JJ says:

Did you know that the AL Designated Hitter Award is called the Edgar Martinez Award? Enough said, put him in!

BOO-ya! Done and done! 😀

3. iapetus999 says:

I saw “The Double” with my own eyes.
    It was the loudest noise I’ve ever heard in my life. Louder than the Blue Angels at rooftop level. The entire Kingdome shook to its foundations (I was also at the game that got suspended due to an earthquake…it shook more that day than the quake).
    The clip still gives me chills after 15 years. Best baseball moment I’ve ever seen.

Nuff said.

4. Craig D-MarinersManiac says:

Edgar is the One of the Top 2 Right Handed hitters in the Last 50 Years and top 5 Right Handed Hitters of all Time. (The only one who has been better with a Bat in the last 50 years in Albert Pujols)

Edgar Was a Hitting Machine.

I love Griffey….
    I love Ichiro…..

but if its Bottom of the 9th with the Bases loaded.
    I choose Edgar 100% of the time.

I know he’s not gonna make it in this year (there are just to many NL voters who will “Never vote for a DH” and ones who wont vote for any player the first year)
    But…there is no excuse for him not to get in year 2 or 3…..
    How can one of the Top 5 Right handed hitters not be in the Hall of Fame?

Even if ya they dont take into considerationthe “Seattle Factor”…. what he meant for the City and the Team…. and then add in his works as a humanitarian.

He is more deserving than anyone on this years Ballot.

Safeco Field Might be the “House that Griffey Built”……

But Without Edgar Martinez…..and his 1995 total Season (its one of the statistical Greatest Seasons of all time)…..
    Everyone Remembers “The Double” in Game 5, that Saved Baseball in Seattle…..

But in Game 4 of the ALDS…Edgar Had one of the Greatest Preformances in a playoff Game EVER…..He Single handedly Saved Baseball in Seattle….Its probably the most forgotten Greatest game and preformances Ever. (Just like Edgar, Under Appreciated for his Greatness)

Game 5 Never happens without Edgar….and the Mariners Move and become the Florida Mariners in 1997.

Every Player that has a MLB award or Trophy named after them….is in the Hall of Fame (Edgar is the only exception)

Every player that has been inducted in the Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame, is Also in the Baseball Hall of Fame (Edgar 2007 inducted by George H.W. Bush)

Edgar Took Less money multiple Times for years to stay in Seattle as a Free Agent.

Okay…I will stop…I could go on forever with a bazillion reasons Edgar should be in the Hall of Fame…..

the Best Reason….

when a Player is a better hitter than half of the Hitters already in the Hall of Fame…..thats an indicator they should be in.

5. Arne says:

Edgar doesn’t just have a street named after him. He must be one of very few recent MLB players who’s been celebrated with a psuedo-epic poem about one of his exploits-I posted “Edgar at the Bat” to my ’95 Mariners site a couple days ago:

I think possibly the funniest thing about that poem is the mere concept of Lou Piniella having anything remotely approaching “Christian charity”…LOL