First rule of USSM/Lookout Landing event…

…well, everyone should know what it is by now, but in case you don’t, you may never find out, as I can’t talk about it here.

What I can talk about, however, is what a great time I had. People I met for the first time today might not have known it – as an infrequent drinker, last night’s wine shennanigans during a stitch n’ bitch at my home gave me a good swift kick in the pants, and left me feeling a little less than alert/chipper today – but I had a really good time.

Brandon and I got there around a little after noon, and there was already a significant number of people waiting in line. We waited for fellow Lookout Landing denizen Aaron to arrive with Brandon’s ticket, while Lookout Landinger Sue held us some seats (and GREAT seats, incidentally, thank you a billion times over!), and after the ticket was procured, we made our way into the auditorium with several hundred other people. In the process of waiting in the lobby, I met Jason, who runs the MyOhMyMariners Twitter blog, along with Caffeinated Conversations, and a few other Tweeting folks – and my immediate apologies if I cannot remember your names – it’s me, not you; I’ll get it next time, I promise.

Once inside the auditorium, we were treated to what I referred to a sort of baseball comedy hour with the USSM and Lookout Landing guys; the questions were serious (questions about both the opinions of the panel on the team, and about their respective blogs and blogging in general), but the answers were occasionally hilarious, and I found myself genuinely laughing my head off more than once.

After a break, we filed back into the auditorium, and the Main Event got under way. Jack Zduriencik, Jeff Kingston, Tom McNamara and Tony Blengino entered the room to a standing ovation and thunderous applause. The whole thing seemed to throw Kingston off a bit, and Dave Cameron had to wave his arms to get us to sit down.

The format this time was far cleaner and much more smooth. The bloggers had fans pre-ask questions, picked the best ones, and spent two hours taking turns going over them with the front office guys. It was a far superior setup to previous times, where the mic has to be passed around, or people have to wait to be picked to ask their questions, or there is no amplification at all, so if the person asking isn’t speaking loudly, nobody can hear. And then there is always the risk that someone is going to ask an awkward question that is a little out of the realm of the discussion at hand. This was all run far better, and I hope that was seen and will be taken into account for the future. Good work, guys, bravo!

There was a lot of really good information, and a candid story from Zduriencik about one of the Ichiro/Ken Griffey Jr tickle-fests we all heard so much about last year, and throughout, a ton of applause. Frankly, it was a little bit of a love-fest at moments. Eventually, people will start making hippie references when speaking about the team, but I believe I can deal with that. I will leave the USSM/LL folks to fill in things that were actually discussed as they see fit. We bid the front office guys goodbye with further applause and another standing ovation, and Zduriencik took the time to shake the hands of almost everyone in the front row. Our team is so class it kills me.

Now I’m completely geeked for FanFest, and the start of the season. That first hot dog out in the cold is going to be sooooo good!

20 Responses to First rule of USSM/Lookout Landing event…

1. Griffin says:

I had a lot of fun too. I went with Taylor H, got to meet Kermit, tootthekazoo, and Mark Sobba. I saw you and your bright red hair about 25 rows below us. Never got a chance to say hi though.

2. msb says:

thanks for popping this up so quickly — the closest I got was seeing toot on the sidewalk as I rode away on the bus … we needed nametags or a highsign or something. Well, we still have fanfest!

3. Dave says:

Great post! Saw you walking around, but couldnt make my way down to say hi. What a great day though! I couldn’t believe how much i laughed! Great time.

msb – FanFest is going to be the bomb-diggity as far as I’m concerned. 🙂

Dave – yeah, the first part was like the show opener. haha!

5. Pingback: USSM/LL Event Recap | U.S.S. Mariner

6. Jason says:

In the first photo with Dave, Derek, Jeff and Matthew, who is the one in the middle?

Jason – that is Graham from Lookout Landing. 🙂

8. Slurve says:

Though I did not go Jeff and Graham are the only people I recognized. Jeff because he’s bald like Jason Statham and Graham because he’s Asian.

Looks like fun I was in school when the tickets went on sale so whoops… I hope to make it in the near future though thanks for the recap.

I actually wondered if you were there or not; a dimly-lit auditorium is not the place to find people you’ve only met once and briefly, or just seen photos of on the internet. When we were trying to find Aaron for Brandon’s ticket, I thought for sure he was really tall – but he’s about my height. Ah well.

I’m thinking next time I should just buy a handful of tix if I can afford it, for people who aren’t around their computers. They did have extras at will-call, but we didn’t know that until we were there. :/

10. AlaskanMarinersFan says:

Is Graham 12?

HA! As far as I know, Graham is, in fact, old enough to drink. 😉

12. AlaskanMarinersFan says:

Thanks for the pictures. Its nice to put a face to the normally faceless bloggers. Although forever I will queston Graham’s comments…”he’s 12 what does he know”

The nerd factor is actually lower than I thougt it would be.

Yeah, it seems like we have a fairly smart fanbase, really, but not so smart that the talk about the game is over people’s heads. My friend Brandon is not a stat-head at all, but he does enjoy the talk about writing, since he is a writer himself, and he knows the team well enough to understand all the jokes that were made.

Where in Alaska are you?

14. Jason says:

Wow! That cute girl is the one who invented tRA? I’m smitten.

15. AlaskanMarinersFan says:

Fairbanks. Its 30 below now. Wish I was somewhere else!

16. Jon says:

“Wow! That cute girl is the one who invented tRA? I’m smitten.”

LOL

17. Craig D-MarinersManiac says:

It was nice to see the Brain-trust of the Franchise that is going to win the world series this year!!!!!

Go Mariners!!!!

AlaskanFan – yikes! My brother used to take people up to Denali via helicopter, a few summers in a row. It looks like a beautiful place, but I have to say the cold would probably get to me.

19. Pingback: Top Posts — WordPress.com