All aboard…

One time Tom and I took some out-of-town friends to our friendly local goth club for a Saturday night of fun. We had a lot of drinks, a lot of good discussion over loud music, a little bit of dancing, and when last call was announced, we took off. Walking back to our apartment on Capitol Hill, we passed another club on Pine called R Place. It’s a gay club, but on the weekends the straight male population comes in and cruises girls who likely go there to be cruised. No, it doesn’t make much sense, but whatever. This particular evening, there was a 20-person brawl in the middle of Pine and Boylston. Boylston was the street we lived on. There were police cars and police everywhere, the road was shut down, and we rubbernecked like good neighbors. After a few moments of realizing that while the spectacle was interesting because Tom and I and our friends don’t behave that way over women or otherwise (I have to assume it was some bizarro drunken display of testosterone over females, considering the Jersey-Shore-like appearance of those involved in the fight and the fact that there were women standing all over the place watching), we realized quickly that it would be better if we simply moved on around the crowd and went home. The alternative would have been accidentally being pushed into the middle of the fracas or possibly getting pepper sprayed by the cops, and neither options are a good way to end a fun evening out.

For some strange reason, I was reminded of this incident when I saw this post at Lookout Landing. Watching the Mariners this year has been like standing on the outskirts of a really big drunken fight over something stupid. And we just got pepper sprayed by the cops.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to All aboard…

Good post! Right now, I have to think that getting involved in a fracas and/or getting pepper sprayed by cops would probably be more fun than watching the M’s play baseball.

Next time I go to a baseball game it will be in Tacoma, at least the AAA games are enjoyable. Also, the last time I went I had free tickets and free beer! πŸ™‚

Next time I go to a game, it will be this coming Wednesday. I’ll actually be able to go somewhere for a round or two pre-game, which should make things slightly more tolerable. haha!

My friends and I usually end up at Pyramid for some pre-game food and beverages, and will sometimes visit Elysian after the game. Any suggestions for other options that are reasonably close?

Oh yeah! πŸ™‚
      My friend Eric (I’ll be hanging out with him for next week’s game) only drinks cider – and they have it on tap at Hooverville, just up the street from SafeCo. I’ve also been to the Showbox, their bar is usually open before games and they have drink deals sometimes. Otherwise, it’s either Pyramid or Elysian for me, too. Lately because of school it hasn’t been much of anything, so getting to chill at the Hoov’ next week will be fun. πŸ™‚

Thanks for the suggestions! πŸ™‚

Tacoma has approximately 50,000 bars, so it isn’t very difficult to find somewhere for a beverage or two before a Rainiers game. πŸ˜‰

Are any of them actually near Cheney? I’ve never done any pre-game thing down there because I’m always busy trying to navigate the traffic and construction. :/

I usually go with friends from Tacoma, so they know how to get to Cheney stadium a lot better than I do. Highway construction does make it a bit trickier for the next couple of years. We usually try to avoid the I-5 interchange with Highway 16.

That said, I would suggest you consider visiting the Harmon, the Swiss, the Spar and/or Engine House 9 when in Tacoma. There is also an Irish pub downtown, but I don’t remember the name. If you take the downtown Tacoma exit it isn’t too bad, then you can use Mapquest to try and avoid the construction.

The Spar has good music sometimes, if you are into blues.

I do like the Harmon. I went there with Conor once when I was helping him move a few months back – not a bad little place, and they’re Mariners-friendly! Have not been to the Spar or the Swiss. Might try and see if I can get down there one of these days – or next season, as money allows. πŸ˜‰