No sweep on Sunday

I can’t exactly say that went as I expected, but it certainly wasn’t a surprise. I spent most of the game with an earphone in, watching my friend Dan play softball with his league in a park in our neighborhood. It was very cold, and I’m thankful that the game was called for time at 3.30, because I’m having a hard time feeling the entire back surface of my body at the moment – though I am pleased to announce that sensation has already returned to my fingers.

The Mariners lost today, and they lost hard. But it was nice to see Tom Wilhelmsen’s major league debut, and to have that debut turn out pretty solidly – a 12-pitch 8th inning consisting mainly of fastballs in the mid-90s. Josh Lueke’s major league debut was not quite as much fun, and he was charged with 4 runs that were technically David Pauley’s fault. Earned runs are stupid. I understand why they exist and the reasoning behind it, but if Pauley had been a better pitcher today, Lueke would have been spared. And if Lueke had been a better pitcher today, Lueke would have been spared. I don’t know – I guess it makes sense, but that doesn’t make me appreciate the concept any more.

Doug Fister lasted 5 innings and change, and only allowed three runs, but I’m guessing he was likely charged with more, since his ERA to start the season is 3.18. I love that a pitcher can be charged with 0.18 runs. That seems kind of rough for Fister, but Oakland just had his number today. It’s unfortunate, but that’s baseball for you. It’s easy to get wrapped up in one game, but I won’t do it!

Tomorrow we go to Texas, and Erik Bedard takes the hill. I am looking forward to that, since I didn’t get to see much of Bedard during Spring Training, and what I did see I wasn’t taking all that seriously anyway, because Spring Training. Am very excited to see what he can do against the Rangers lineup, and looking forward even more to Michael Pineda’s debut on Tuesday. So far, I’m enjoying the season day by day. Baby steps, panicking is forbidden, and delusions of grandeur are being squashed with every inning.

6 Responses to No sweep on Sunday

1. Patrick says:

ERA is ((Earned Runs)*9)/(Innings Pitched). He actually only had 2 earned runs, so thats how that number came about. (2*9)/(5 2/3rds)=3.18

Patrick – ah. I knew there was reasonable math in there somewhere, just didn’t know what it might be. I took all my math/science credits in science in school. Biology and chemistry is so much easier for me to understand. πŸ˜‰ Thanks. πŸ™‚

The M’s won the first series, which seems like a pretty good start to me. Dang that sun, anyway! πŸ˜‰

Looking forward to seeing what Bedard, Pineda, and Felix! can accomplish against Texas.

I know – I saw some of the trouble catches with the sun. It must have been really bright, because I’ve never seen anyone have that much trouble with it before. :/

3. Chris from Bothell says:

Bedard-Pineda-Felix. If Bedard can get into the 7th and Pineda doesn’t rely on fastballs alone at the bandbox in Arlington… hey, the Ms could start their home opener at 5&1… πŸ™‚

Yeah, Pineda worries me a bit in that arena – peppering the strike zone with fastballs against Texas hitters is not the greatest idea in the world, but hopefully he’s been working on that elusive ‘out’ pitch or some other tricky thing.