Well, would you look at that…

So tonight marked the beginning of the series I know a lot of people were looking forward to, and things did not start out of the gate quickly. An hour into the game, and it was just the top of the 3rd inning. I had hoped to be in bed by 10pm tonight after spending last night out at a neighborhood pub with Tom, but it wasn’t going to happen. Michael Pineda came out of the gate with a vengeance, and his impatience cost him. The price? One Mark Teixeira home run. After that, he slowed the game down. Way down. He only managed to make it five innings, giving up three runs on three hits, 5 walks, and 5 strikeouts. All of this on 96 pitches. It wasn’t a pretty game for him, but as a rookie facing the New York Yankees for the first time? I think he did an alright job. It’s good for him to have to battle a little every once in a while, and even though there were times throughout his tenure on the hill when he looked really annoyed, I don’t really think he has much to be ashamed of here. He didn’t get the win, but also didn’t get the loss. And he’ll be better for this from here on out – and that’s just fine.

AJ Burnett kept us down with one hit and no runs until the 5th inning, when his four-seamers and knucklers started losing their effectiveness, and the Ms managed to get two runs in. Burnett was replaced in the 6th inning by Boone Logan, who threw to one batter and was then replaced by Luis Ayala, who not only kept loading up the bases after Miguel Olivo’s single, but then gave us two more runs to allow us to lead the game.

After Pineda was pulled, David Pauley came in for some long relief. He pitched two solid innings, giving up only two hits, no runs, no walks. Pauley has a nice respectable ERA sitting at .95, and an FIP of 2.27 so far this year. Before Pineda was pulled, I had some doubts over whether or not our relief corps could handle the Yankees, but Pauley’s performance was really good, as was Jamey Wright’s in the 8th. Brandon League came in for a marvelously short and sweet 9th inning, sealing up the win for David Pauley, and giving me a little more confidence in being able to say that he’s “back” and over his ills from a few weeks ago.

If you didn’t see the game, or didn’t see the play when it happened, Franklin Gutierrez made yet another stunning catch in a long list of stunning catches. Here’s a link to it. I really don’t have anything to say about this that hasn’t already been said. Stuff like this renders me speechless, because it is what it is. Plays like this are pure and beautiful, and words just don’t do them justice. Brendan Ryan also made a play that was just super, helping Jamey Wright pick off Eduardo Nunez at second base for the final out of the 8th inning for the Yanks. If there’s anything I love more than seeing stuff like that done by our guys during a game, it’s the excitement exhibited when the deed is done; in this case, Ryan pointing to Wright after laying down the tag and yelling “Yeah, baby!” before running back to the dugout to bat. David Pauley also got some fist pumping in this evening, around the 7th inning on a final out. Love it.

And we won. I’m not going to lie, I’m a little surprised. Happy, but surprised. The Mariners gave me what I asked for, one win in this series. Others would be nice, but I don’t want to be greedy. We’re at .500 now for the first time since the beginning of April. I know it won’t stay there, but it’s nice to be able to say. Hopefully this will continue, game by game, baby steps. I am looking forward to tomorrow evening’s matchup, with Felix!

I don’t have any closing line for this one, other than that I’m really tired and need to go to sleep. So there you go. Have a good weekend!

13 Responses to Well, would you look at that…

I was thinking that the Mariners should have a decent chance in the games where Pineda and Felix were pitching, and it was very cool to see them get the win last night. Guti’s catch was amazing, and the bullpen really did their job. All in all, this was very satisfying, and a .500 record too!!!

2. Section 36 says:

Glad you guys were able to come back last night. It’s always more fun to wake up and hear the Yankees blew one late. Feel free to keep it up for the rest of the series!

Haha! I see you over there, Boston! 😉

We have Felix tonight, so it might work out alright for us. Our offense is so inconsistent, though, it’s really difficult to tell. Obviously, I’m hoping we take them down a few pegs, as it’s always fun to be a bad team that beats a better one. 😉

• hap says:

Megan, are you going to be at any of the games this weekend? I have two tickets for Tuesday night’s game against the Baltimorio’s..if you want them you can have them, come up to the 300 level (First base side and look for HAP) I’m a seating host and will be wearing my green outfit. I’m working Sat, Sun, and Monday so let me know if you want the tickets…if not I’ll hand them off to someone else! BTW they are tickets in the 300 level near your old 331.

3. Megan Shear says:

Hey, Hap! I actually already have tickets for the two games I can go to in the Orioles series, but I do appreciate your offer. Very kind. 🙂
    Which section did you work on Opening Day, incidentally?

• hap says:

On Opening day I was working 327-325 if I remember correctly, either that or 325-321

I think Conor and I may have sat in your section – we were in 323, sitting right up against the rail in row 9, in the corner. I spent a lot of time whining about how cold I was. haha!

4. hap says:

I am always on the first base side of the ballpark. Sometimes I’m even in charge!!;-0

5. Megan Shear says:

S-36 – We actually have foam crowns now for him that people can wear. I think that’s the first time in my short career as a sports fan that I’ve seen bits of swag that were meant to be worn in honor of a specific player – kind of like panda hats in San Fransisco, or the whole antlers phenomenon down in Texas. I don’t know that we’ve ever had anything like that before, but if there’s any reason to, Felix is as good as it gets. 🙂

• Section 36 says:

I like that sort of stuff. I don’t remember any player-specific items in Boston either. But, there was a lot of the “Cowboy Up” slogan a few years ago. It’s great if for no other reason than to look back at it ten years later for a laugh.

We do have the “Ichi-Meter” lady, too – she’s not commercially available, but the sign that she brings to the park all the time did inspire a bobblehead giveaway…

Woo hoo, 2 and 0 against the Yankees!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂